stories and recipes from a young mom who is still just trying to figure it all out!

Monday, January 24, 2011

A new chapter! ... Again

Well it has happened! I will be getting paid to write about one of the things I love most in this world: food! The articles are suppose to be more "newsy" and factual in this particular writing and I need to come up with articles that are interesting to the general food loving public. Stuff like, "How to cut your grocery bill in half" or "How to cook for diabetes". I get paid according to how much traffic goes to my articles, so I am interested in what you guys want to read about! If you have any suggestions for articles or questions you would like me to answer, post it up on my 3 lbs of chicken facebook page and I will be more than happy to take it into consideration. Once my page gets set up for these articles I will make sure the link is known and you can all join me on this new adventure!

As a side note, I have a recipe for you guys! Beau gets paid once a month and it is getting close to the end of our month so I am scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to food in this house. I suppose I could run to the store and just grab a couple things to make my life easier, but I thought, "nah!" I want to try to make dinner for the rest of this week using only the food I already have in the fridge and pantry. Which sounded easier when I first had the thought... but last night I started digging around and I found a half a box of macaroni noodles, some jarred tomatoes, sharp cheddar cheese, and some leftover chicken from a whole roasted chicken I had made the night before. Put it all together and what do you get? Pasta with chicken in a tomato cheese sauce! Yum! I love how that sounds... tomato cheese sauce...

I would have a picture for you, but before I could get out the camera we both had pigged out on it and it was gone! But I can tell you it looked as yummy as it tasted!

Pasta with Chicken in a Tomato Cheese Sauce

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 whole onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups roughly shredded cooked chicken
2 cups canned tomatoes
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
a pinch of garlic salt
a pinch of brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
enough cooked macaroni noodles to feed 2 people

In a saute pan heat the olive oil and then add in the garlic and onion. Saute until soft and translucent and then add in the chicken. Saute for 2 minutes then add in the tomatoes. Let it simmer until the tomatoes begin to sauce up. Add in the rest of the ingredients (except the noodles) and let simmer for a couple minutes until the cheese is melted. Toss with the noodles and enjoy!

If you happen to have more things in your kitchen than I did then feel free to throw them in your sauce! It will change the flavor a little so stay consistent, but some capers, balsamic vinegar or white wine, etc. would all taste really yummy.



1 comment:

  1. Dude, this sounds delish and I won't be able to cook for like four and half months, haha. I just want you to know that I'm thinkin' of you even though I'm over here. Hey, let me know on facebook or email if there is anything you need me to do for the wedding! <3

    ReplyDelete