stories and recipes from a young mom who is still just trying to figure it all out!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Give me a break

Americans as a whole are notorious for working way to hard and then crashing into a heap where we then try to recoup ourselves through beer, food, red wine, kit kats or whatever else we feel will reward us for all our hard work. I am incredibly guilty of this unhealthy lifestyle. Once I even tried to live a yogic, serene lifestyle and I worked so hard at being calm and graceful and "one with myself" that I became exhausted and couldn't stand to even think of another day of happy thoughts and early morning meditations. and yet another time I wore myself out with books on other cultures' lives and tried to make it apply to my life so I could take naps at noon every day, eat whatever I wanted in small portions, and reward myself daily just for being me. Sounds fantastic except that yet again, I threw myself into it so wholly that it became not really a lifestyle at all, but more of a race with myself to see just how laid-back I could be... A friend of mine posted on her Facebook wall the other day "Everything in moderation, especially moderation." Aint it the truth?

Today I find myself running running running, and I am finally now collapsing. Nothing went as it should, I scratched nothing off my to do list and the baby has been fussy all day for a lack of naps that she will not lay down for. Every time I lay her down in her crib where she usually will quietly play with the corner of her blanket before she falls asleep, I found her rolling around, throwing her pacifier to the ground and giggling and cooing at the walls. But if I were to give up and take her out of the crib, her eyes get sleepy looking and she starts to scream... so this has been my day. And now Beau will be getting home late, the baby is still not sleeping, the laundry is not done and I was not able to run my errands because my car is broken. But still with everything else going on I have been running around cleaning, making wedding plans and trying to get things done. And now I just can't take it anymore!

So for those times when you need a little break or a "reward" for being awesome, do what I do. Turn to food! Still probably not a healthy habit but it works for me and I figure as long as I am still exercising and my waist is nice and thin (as it is) then what can it hurt? This is my favorite go to snack for days when I feel like I am sort of falling apart. One bite and I am picked right back up and I remember that life indeed is awesome and I don't always need to work so hard. Who is gonna know if I didn't make my bed today anyway??



How to make this wonderful treat:
First I toast 2 Kashi blueberry waffles. Then I slather one with Nutella and the other with creamy peanut butter. And then my favorite part, I break up some 80% dark chocolate into little pieces and sprinkle it around. Sandwich it together and wham-o! Perfection... it is so sweet and so rich and practically makes your teeth hurt, but the sugar rush is always just what I needed, and in case you haven't all heard, chocolate is a mood booster!

No comments:

Post a Comment