stories and recipes from a young mom who is still just trying to figure it all out!

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

ms. piggy is delicious...

Alright folks! Between the baby and the endless list of chores I have yet to get to today, this is going to be short and sweet. But I feel it is very much worth your time!

I have an incurable addiction to magazines. For some reason I just really love the quick bursts of information littered with tips, recipes and glossy ads for things I can't afford. But being that we are trying to be super money savers lately, magazines are not on my list of things I am allowed to buy. But every once in a while a girl has to make an exception... like when this months issue of Better Homes and Gardens is just bursting full of delicious looking recipes I must try! So on my coffee table it sits, dog-eared and with pages ripped out. One of those pages in particular I want to share with you. A recipe for a stew that sounds like it has odd ingredients but is actually one of the most delicious stews in my recipe box!

Pork and Sweet Potato Stew

1 2 1/2- 3 lb pork loin cut into cubes ( I actually used pork roast on sale that I cubed and it was fantastic.)

3-4 Tbsp flour

3 Tbsp butter

1 large onion, chopped

2 ribs celery, diced

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 cups chicken broth

10 oz. apple-cranberry juice (a little over a cup)

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced

2 Tbsp fresh sage, chopped

(my procedure is completely different than the magazine's. so if you want to see how to do it their way, buy the mag!)

Preheat the oven to 325. cut off all if the extra pork fat and render in a cast iron dutch oven on a low heat. Once rendered, remove the fat pieces and brown the cubed pork on each side. Set aside. Add the butter and saute the onion and celery until soft. Add the sweet potato and saute for a couple minutes. Add the meat back into the pot, sprinkle with flour and stir to coat. Add the juice and chicken broth. The meat should be just barely covered, you can add more chicken broth or water if you need it. Season with salt and pepper and half of the sage. Put the lid on the dutch oven and place inside the oven. Cook for about an hour, until the flavors are melded together and the pork is cooked all the way through.

Delish! I served this stew with Hawaiian sweet rolls because it was right before Thanksgiving and they were on sale. The rolls were perfect with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment