stories and recipes from a young mom who is still just trying to figure it all out!

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Dog Food and Noodles

I remember being a kid and skipping into the kitchen to ask mom what was for dinner. "Dog food," she would say. "No mom, really! What's for dinner?!"

"Dog food."

We never actually ate dog food and I have no idea why these little moments always stuck with me. But they did, and last night when I was shredding beef from a leftover stew I realized it looked just like canned wet dog food! So this new recipe is now lovingly named Dog Food with Noodles. It is a wonderful recipe for leftover stew and thankfully tastes much better than actual dog food!


You will need...

leftover stew
corn starch (a couple pinches)
elbow noodles (cooked)
cheddar cheese, shredded- a couple handfuls


First off all, with your leftover stew, pull out your chunks of beef and shred them, then add them back into the stew. Heat the stew in a pan and add a little corn starch to thicken the broth. Toss the stew with cooked elbow noodles. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and put the whole pan under the broiler to melt the cheese and get a little golden crust around the edges.




Kind of like a homemade hamburger helper... but better! I served it with some garlic bread I made out of hamburger buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment