stories and recipes from a young mom who is still just trying to figure it all out!

Monday, November 15, 2010

when life hands you Lentils

This past week has been one of those weeks that flies by and all I can really remember of it is little blurs of exhausting events. You know that kind of week...

swoosh! There goes me getting scammed with a fraudulent check! Vroom! There's my doctor prescribing me the wrong birth control and it causing my breast milk to dry up and my baby to scream at me with hunger pains! Smash! I've just been hit with wedding to-do's and Christmas plans and a super tight budget! ...sigh...

Along with the bad, there has also been good but it was the kind of good that brings along its buddy, emotional exhaustion. Trying on wedding dresses, talking about the invitations and flowers and center pieces and Ahhh!!! With a really tight budget and only 7 months until the wedding date, I feel like I have been hit with a truck (a truck with cans tied to the back and "Just Married" written on the back windshield.) And along with everything else, as my baby gets bigger and cuter and more fun, she also gets more opinionated, fussy and she is starting to teeth. Needless to say, cooking fabulous meals and then writing about them has been way down on my to do list. And I mean waaay down. But I decided to sit at the computer today and blog anyway because I needed a little quiet mommy time. A little place where I can let it all hang out and complain.

Because today, as visions of Christmas to-do lists danced in my head and images of white dresses clouded my eyes, I did the classic Jasmine California stop a little ways up the street from my house and was immediately pulled over and ticketed. She said it was because my registration was expired, but no where is that mentioned on the ticket, just that I ran a stop sign (which I think is a little dramatic. "Ran" is not the right work for a really quick little stop-and-go-right-away). So there it is. A whole new week and already I have to show up in court and pay a fine for goodness only knows how much.

And now I am looking around and I can see that my flowers need to be watered, the wedding magazines need to be picked up and dinner needs to be started before my man gets home. The baby needs a nap, the floor needs to be vacuumed, the bills need to be paid, and the sink is full of dishes. I think of all of these people who give me strange looks or make snide comments because I stay at home to take care of my baby instead of working a "real" job and I wonder what their lives must be like where they can get away from it all for 8 hours a day and then come home to their family life. I think of it as a break! Don't try to tell me your life is harder because you have a real job. I never get a break from this! I don't get vacations or lunch breaks, and most of all, I don't get a paycheck! I am up at the butt crack of dawn with a boss who greets me by crying and sucking all of the nutrients out of my body and then poops. I spend my day making my man's house a place he is happy to come home to and I make sure his "kingdom" is running smoothly. Sometimes I forget to eat and I will dance around having to pee for hours before I get a chance to go. My hair looks like crap and the only make up I have time for is concealer to hide the dark circles and some mascara to make me look awake.

But the thing is, I wouldn't trade this last hard week for anything in the world. I do this job for free, but what I get out of it is more than I could have ever asked for. I have a man who loves me and tells me so when he comes home to me every night. And that screaming, pooping little bundle of spit up makes me more happy than I ever thought possible. So when my washing machine breaks, and the the car won't pass smog and I get a ticket, a fraudulent check, and the wrong birth control all in one week, well that's okay. Because I also get the toothless smiles, the hugs and all of the love I need to keep me pushing through.

So thank you to my little family! I love you guys and I am so happy that you love me enough to put up with the very simple dinner I will be serving you tonight; and I know you will not make a single complaint even if you really want to. =)

After a Hard Week Lentil Soup

4 or 5 strips of bacon
1 16 oz pack of lentils
1 large onion
2 ribs celery
3 small carrots
1 large beef (or pork) stock bone with marrow

in a saute pan, cook the bacon and render out all of the fat. Set the bacon aside and keep the fat. Dice all of the veggies and saute in the bacon grease. Add the lentils and saute for 1-2 minutes to soak up the bacon flavor. Pour the whole mixture in a crock pot, add filtered water a couple inches over the lentils and add in the beef bone. Cook on low until lentils are soft. Add more water if you need it. Season with salt and pepper and some dried herbs if you want them. Thyme, oregano, or sage are all good in this soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment