stories and recipes from a young mom who is still just trying to figure it all out!

Thursday, November 4, 2010

I like my buns toasty!

What to do, what to do... I almost always have a plan for my dinners because my life is hectic enough and I like to plan everything down to a T. Call me OCD but at least my life runs smoothly and I'm not running around like a crazy person looking for lost keys or forgetting to make my hubby's lunch. I am the queen of lists and I am proud of it!

But sometimes the lists need a little revising at the last minute, like on a night when you have spaghetti planned and that is the last thing you feel like eating. So what to do... well lucky for me, I had a house warming party a while back and there are still frozen Costco hamburgers in the freezer! So "what to do" turns into cheap-o meal #4- burgers!

Now burgers are all fine and dandy but don't we all get a little sick of the patty, lettuce, tomato, ho hum blah? I will raise my hand to that! So this meal cost me the price of buns, 1 red onion and a can of sliced pineapple. That plus a little trick to make the buns extra yummy and the burgers were gone so fast I didn't even have time to snap a picture of the deliciousness.

here is what to do...

I used a cast iron indoor grill but burgers can become a social gathering by lighting up the barby, so have at it if you have the time and a few cold beers. Cook the burgers like normal, adding a little seasoning salt for flavor. Slice some cheese and red onion and set aside. Layer a thin layer of mayo on some hamburger buns and set aside. Once the burgers are about halfway done throw some pineapple slices down and let them get dark grill marks on each side (yum!). after you flip the burgers and they are almost done, melt some cheese on top of them, then put the mayo-ed buns on the grill and grill them until they have crispy edges and have grill marks. And there you have it! Put a burger on a bun, top with grilled pineapple and onion and some bbq sauce and enjoy! Sounds simple because it is, and it is absolutely delicious! I love the sweetness of the pineapple with the burger and for some reason it just works with the cheese and bbq sauce. And um, hello? Who can say no to toasty buns!

So there it is. In a pinch, grilled pineapple burgers are a yummy way to get dinner in your man's belly without breaking the bank. Be sure to make lots of extra pineapple because it tastes amazing and I always eat at least half the can to myself!

1 comment:

  1. You plan your life down to a Trisha!?!?! Awesome!! Anyways, looks like a super delicious recipe!!

    ReplyDelete