stories and recipes from a young mom who is still just trying to figure it all out!

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Feels Like the Very First Time

A few years ago, before Beau, Berkeley and all of the wonderful food experiences I had in the Bay Area, I had my first romantic evening with food as my +1. I remember it well as one of those life altering moments where I realized I truly had a passion for food. I was 18 and a vegan. I would buy my make-up from an Aveda salon in Redlands and I just happened to notice at one of my routine visits that they were putting on a vegan benefit dinner at a place called The Farm. The money would go to the California beaches which I justified as the reason I would just have to pay the $65 for a ticket. How could I not help the beaches? I'm not a monster!

The dinner night finally arrived a few weeks later and I got dressed up like I was going on a date. Little black dress, heels, my hair was up in the messy boho fashion I was wearing in my vegan days and I hit the town. I had butterflies as I anticipated the delicious food waiting for me.

Once I arrived, I realized I was the only one there by myself! But I didn't let that stop me. I held my head up high and owned it; I pretended to be one of those fashionable old ladies who always goes out alone and looks fabulous doing so. It didn't occur to me until later that I was also the youngest in attendance... But anyway, I walked through the giant oak doors and was seated at the end of one of the long tables amidst a group of hairdressers who all came together. Their hair talk faded into the background while I looked around and took in the room... deep colors, low lighting, wine glasses and bottles lining the wall behind the bar. Oh yes, this would be a romantic night!

And oh what a night it was. I was served a 6 course vegan meal including polenta, soups, delicious roasted vegetables and an amazing dessert. I closed my eyes and tasted, really tasted, every bite. The food was comforting as well as fantastic and beautiful to look at. It broke my heart that i didn't know anyone who would be as excited about this food as I was! And then I knew... Maybe I am a little different from the rest of the population when it comes to food.

Lucky for me I would move to a place where a "foodie" is as common as the hobos that lined the street corners and I would get to have many more romantic food evenings. But none quite as exciting and sexy as that night I went out alone to explore the world of high end vegan cuisine. I guess nothing compares to the "first time".

I would love to share an incredible vegan recipe with you to go along with this post, but I have not been a vegan for a long time and I may have lost my touch! :) But if you are ever in the mood, make a reservation at this beautiful restaurant in downtown Redlands. That was a vegan event but the restaurant serves meat, and deliciously I might add! They also have an amazing wine selection and all of their food comes from local farms. Does it get much better than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment